William Asmus Home
This brick building was built in 1836 according to town records and was originally a one-room schoolhouse serving to teach thousands of Town of Newstead students for over 100 years.
The home, although having undergone extensive interior alterations, still retains its schoolhouse charm and hosts carved initials on some exterior bricks, presumably done by schoolchildren. At 900 square feet the Asmus family worked to achieve maximum living space in a small area. Over the years hey have added 2 lofts, a catwalk and a three-season room with hopes of ‘learning’ how to do more with less.
The schoolhouse closed in 1952 and has been a private residence since that time.