Repairs to the damage at the Octagon House has just begun! We will be updating the status of the house and tour schedule on this website and through our Facebook page.
The Rich-Twinn Octagon House, located at 145 Main Street in the village of Akron, New York built circa 1850, is currently owned and operated by the Newstead Historical Society as a house museum open to the public.
Through the dedicated efforts of the Newstead Historical Society and the citizens of the Akron-Newstead community, the house has been meticulously restored and has achieved the honor of being listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1995.
This house also has the distinction of being the only octagon house built in Erie County during the nineteenth century, which is when the short-lived octagon house fad took place. Orson Fowler, a phrenologist and author, promoted the concept that living in a “round” house would realize greater health for its occupants.
The Rich-Twinn Octagon House is of Greek Revival style with the exception of the cupola, which is of Italianate design, believed to be the earliest examples of Italianate windows in the area. It is approximately 2,600 square feet having three floors plus a cupola and is of post and beam construction. Inside is a beautiful restoration with interesting features, among them in-wall speaking tubes on every floor, a dumbwaiter from the basement kitchen to the dining room, and a rectangular central chimney that twists as it reaches the cupola.
Kate Stapleton Parzych
Director, Rich-Twinn Octagon House