143 EAST AVENUE
The Newman-Zuba two story frame house and carriage barn first appears on the 1866 map of Akron in what was once called the hamlet of Falkirk.
The property was purchased in 1850 by Enos Newman, a pioneer in the cement industry in Akron, partnering with James Montgomery in the 1840’s. Enos raised five children at this location with his wife Thirza and died in 1864.
In the interim the business had expanded involving various other family members, transferring ownership several times and ultimately becoming H. L .and W.C. Newman, producers of both cement and flour. The street the home and business were on was called Cement Street.
In its heyday over 600 barrels of cement a day were produced employing 48 people. Ten employees worked in the flour mill increasing production to 150 barrels in 1878. Leroy, Enos brother was in charge of operations of both the mills and mines.
He became the eventual owner of the eleven-room home which remained in the family until 1910. To maintain its historical elegance the original main staircase and pocket doors have been retained. The stucco carriage house has two floors and a basement and appears with the house in the 1880 atlas of Erie County.
The Newman family originally had greenhouses on the 2.7-acre property as well.
During the ownership of Arthur Charles, he and his wife Nettie Preisach Charles continued on the tradition started by her family of running a wholesale/retail greenhouse business there selling cut flowers, plants and servicing cemetery floral needs upon request. The business was called Akron Greenhouses.
In 2004 the business and home were sold and the greenhouses were torn down and building lots to the east of the property were sold.
The lot the home is on is now 1.25 acres and the home has been extensively renovated by several different owners in recent years.